Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Easy Chutney Chicken



This delish recipe is taken from one of my favorite cookbooks!  It is called Keeping Up Cookbook and I highly recommend this amazing collection to everyone!!!  It is a little pricey at $25, but it will become one of your standard go-to cookbooks.  You can find it and the companion volume, Favorites, at keepingupcookbook.com.  Seriously, this cookbook is amazing!  I have only found 1 recipe that I didn't love and it was still quite good.

The Mr. and I have a serious love for Indian Food!  We love finding recipes to curb our Indian cravings and this fabulous chicken dish really does the trick!  The kids like it too!!!

I did things a little differently than the original recipe, I'll note both ways here.

6 chicken breasts, each cut into 2 pieces, or 18-20 chicken tenders
3 T flour
2 T oil
1 jar (14 oz)  mango chutney (original recipe calls for 2 cups)
1/4 t cayenne pepper (original recipe calls for 1/2 t)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/2 c chicken broth
1/2 c water (original recipe calls for white wine)
1 t curry powder
1 t ground ginger

Coat chicken with flour, it doesn't need to be thick, a light dusting will do.  Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Working in as many batches as needed, brown the chicken on all sides.  Place browned chicken in a 9"x13" baking dish.  Stir remaining ingredients together and pour over chicken.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. 

I served the chicken with couscous, but I am sure it would be delicious with basmati or Jasmine rice.  Add steamed or stir-fried veggies to finish off your dinner!  

I'll try to get better with my food photography skills!  I wish you could have smelled and seen it in all its glory!!!

1 comment:

  1. I made this tonight. It was my first time making Indian food and we loved it! I'll be making it again. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete