I love this pizza crust recipe for having on hand pre-baked crusts, or frozen crusts. When I went to Nevada for a week I had two of these crust pre-baked and Doug easily made his own yummy meals! Yields 2 medium crusts.
2 1/2 tsp yeast (or one package)
1 tsp sugar
1 cup warm water
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups flour
dash of garlic powder
1/4 cup olive oil
- Mix warm water, sugar and yeast. Let it foam about 5 minutes.
- Mix the flour, salt, and garlic powder together. Now add the olive oil and the yeast mixture and mix together. (I use my kitchen aid with the bread hook.) Mix or knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. It should not stick to your hands, so add flour if it's too sticky.
- Shape the dough into a ball, place in a bowl and lightly coat in olive oil to keep from drying out. Cover with a clean towel and let the pizza dough double in size, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Punch it down and divide into two equal balls. Roll out on floured surface to shape crust. At this point you may just top with toppings and bake for a fresh pizza. Or for pre-baked crusts, bake in oven 3-5 minutes, just until the outside starts to cook and it's not golden yet.
- Cool completely. Store wrapped in plastic wrap then covered in tin foil. Then place in freezer or fridge (if you plan to use quickly). You could also assemble your pizza then freeze.
- Let the crust thaw, top and bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 10-15 minutes until crust is golden and cheese is bubbly. You may place pizza directly on rack.