Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Summer's Chicken Pot Pie

A friend (Summer) made this for us after I had Leah. It was so good that I ate the leftovers for breakfast the next morning. Then I asked for the recipe. Now it is my comfort food of choice. When I asked Brad what recipe I should share with you, this was the first one he mentioned. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Filling:
1/3 cup butter/margarine
1/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 and 3/4 cups water
3/4 cup milk
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 chicken breast, cooked and cubed
1 large potatoes, cooked, peeled and cubed
1 cup mixed vegetables (frozen)

Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in flour, garlic, salt, and pepper. Gradually stir in water, milk and bouillon. Bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add chicken and vegetables. Set aside.

Pastry:
1 and 2/3 cups flour
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese room temperature
1/3 cup cold butter/margarine sliced into smaller pieces

Combine flour and cream cheese. Cut in butter (I use a hand mixer). Work by hand until dough starts clumping into a ball.  On a floured surface roll 2/3 dough into a 12-inch square. Transfer to an 8-inch square baking dish. Pour filling into crust. Roll remaining dough into a 9-inch square, place over filling. Trim and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry to allow heat to escape while baking. Bake at 425 for 35-40 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.

I like to serve this with a nice salad or fresh fruit: it makes me feel better about all that butter!

Note: Don't be afraid of the pastry dough. I am a pastry novice, but it has turned out delicious every time I've used this recipe. I think the trick is to make sure your butter is cold (straight out of the fridge) and then don't overwork the dough. I don't worry about it being too perfect (I've never actually measured my rolled dough to see if it's a 12-inch square). I just eye-ball it and if it doesn't quite fit in the dish I use my fingertips to gently push it into place. Even if it isn't perfectly trimmed and fluted, it still tastes delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment