Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Puff Pastry Mini Chicken Pot Pies

We love this recipe at our house. My girls love that they are mini pot pies - just their size! Even my picky eaters have been known to eat at least two servings. It's incredibly easy, delicious, and makes a pretty plate. I like serving them when we have guests. I hope you like them as much as we do!

First you'll need these:
Bake the pastry shells according to the directions on the box. While they are in the oven, make the filling. FYI: There is a recipe for filling on the back of the box, but I've tried it and don't like it. Here is what I use for my filling:

1/3 cup butter/margarine

1/3 cup flour

1/4 tsp. garlic powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1 and 3/4 cups water

3/4 cup milk

2 chicken bouillon cubes

2 chicken breast, cooked and cubed

1 cup mixed vegetables (frozen)
 

Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in flour, garlic, salt, and pepper. Gradually stir in water, milk and bouillon. Bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add chicken and vegetables. Set aside. 

When the pastries are nice and puffed, pop off the lids. Fill them with the filling and take a moment to look at how cute they are. Then eat up! I usually serve them with white rice to soak up the leftover filling (also, Brad has been known to want at least three pastries and the rice helps fill in the gaps).

Serving size is about 2 mini pies per person.
(Photo at the top was taken from the Pepperidge Farm website)

1 comment: